Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Yesterday I had a short break for Dinner...

Yesterday I had a short break for Dinner... and on the way in a guy asked me for spare change. I didn't have much change so I told him so... I was at "Food Land" a chinese/mexican fast food restaurant for a short break and dinner. The portions at "Food Land" are extra-large working-class to guarentee that you don't leave hungry. The size of the portions made it clear that I would either eat too much, or share this... I went back outside and asked the young man if he wanted to share my food.

After a puzzled hesitation he came in and I pointed to the extra plate I had set asside. I let him know that I have been hungry in the past and I was willing to share my abundance. He indicated that he was willing to take his food outside. I said you can eat with me. A small smile broke on his face... I was seeking to treat him as a young man and an equal... and not a beggar. He ate as quickly as possible not neglecting any of the details of coutesy that he had grown up with... He shared a few facts with me... he was homeless... Originally from Mexico... that his family could not support him there and so he had come here looking for a better life...

When he had finished he excused himself and when I left he said thanks. The marks of struggle on this young soul's face, hands, and in his eyes are etched on my soul. I also feel that Jesus made the opportunity here a blessed sacred space. Food offered and given is not always recieved with gratitude.

Some of the people out on the streets who are begging for money are genuinely hungry.

2 comments:

beholdhowfree said...

Hey, this is great. Thanks for sharing it. Your last sentence is exremely important. And you would think that those of us who spend lots of time on the streets would figure it out...they are not all out to scam us, and not everyone has some nefarious purpose. And when you see someone who is honestly hungry, it all starts to make sense.

Me said...

I think this is rally great, thanks for sharing and I would like to link you if that ok with you. You can check out my blog at www.jeremiah2911me.blogspot.com