Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Pupusa's for Maria... what a gift.

I had left-overs from going out to eat with some of the guys. (Papusas are a mainstay in the diet of El Salvador.) Jesus Barajas, one of Maria's sons came along, so it was natural to walk him home. Before I left, Maria -- One of my favorite mothers in our neighborhood -- came home. Suddenly the extra calories that I would have eaten became a gift... She told me that she loves Pupusas... I would have never known because she's from Mexico.

The food also provided space and time for us to talk. She did not have to fix herself something. So we relaxed and talked together. She is promising to help me with my Spanish and I her English. She also promised to pray for Jude and my Father-In-law, Mark. She had learned of his sickness from a mutual friend. She reminded me that Jude would need my support and insisted on getting our telephone number so she could call Jude to encourage her.

No comments: